I was being serious. I really wanna know.
I was reaing the Shooting 8mm website and came along the diff film stocks and had some questions. Especially about this VISION stock.
Tell me if i got the story right. Kodak has a 35mm film stock called VISION, that Super8Sound/Pro8mm has cut or modiefied for use in Super8mm cameras? Right?
Now my question is, will this film really give better images than even Kodachrome40? The VISION, since it's cut from 35mm. I was gonna use mostly Kodachrome40 for an upcoming film, but now i'm thinking this might be the way to go, if it is indeed better. Please someone help me out and tell me.
Also, what is this "EXR" film Pro8 also have.
I was being serious. I really wanna know.
Stick with K40 if you have ample light, the results will be fantastic.
EXR (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) is Extrachrome 160.
Purchase the Kodachrome from Kodak with the mailers, if you have a student i.d. it will only cost you 10+ bucks per roll with processing included.
SS
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 12, 2004 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Hanthx ]</font>
First off vist:
www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/index.jhtml?pq-path=2/523
There you will find some answers.
Second--EXR is not Ektachrome 160. EXR is a line of Neg stocks. Kodak will actually be phasing them out now that they have introduced a second line of Vision stocks called Vision2.
Third--As for what is the best stock?? What is the best car?? It can't be answered. It depends on what you are shooting and how you will be showing the final product. I think that the Vision 200T is a great stock in Super8. The down-side is that it has to have a professional Xfer to tape in order to be viewed. Kodachrome can be a great looking stock and may produce the results you are after but it is so slow its use is often limited to exteriors.
Without knowing more details on your plans it is hard to suggest a stock choice.
Good Luck
[
EXR (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) is Extrachrome 160.
Ekatachrome 160 as we old super 8'ers knew of way back is no more.Both type A and G are no longer made.What is out there is 7240 Ektachrome Video News Film (VNF).Still 160 ASA (I think or is it 125??)just a different process and an all around better stock.Tighter grain,a little sharper.
EXR--Was the first line of Neg films to use T-Grains. It was pretty complete until recent years when the Vision line bumped it off.
www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/chrono4.jhtml?id=0.1.4.20.8&lc=en
Unless Kodak was naming very different products--Neg Vs. Chrome with the same name I don't see how the Ektachrome 160 was EXR. There was an Ektachrome "R" film but it was a print film....
Good Luck
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">could you give a little more detail about that? i'm really REALLY interested in that student pricing bit because i'm pretty hard up for cash right now and getting my film developed is slow going.Originally posted by Hanthx:
Purchase the Kodachrome from Kodak with the mailers, if you have a student i.d. it will only cost you 10+ bucks per roll with processing included.
thanks -sky
All great answers. But let's change opiion to fact. Through technical data of the stocks, what looks the best?
Well if apparent grain is a sign of a poorer film then EXR would be the worst and Vision2 being the best.
EXR still has the '45(50D) which is a very nice film with low grain--This could be in part due to its speed.
The Vision2 line as it stands is pretty amazing. The 500s look great--better than any 500 before them. The '29 is going to give Fuji a run for its money with the way it renders flesh tones. The 12/17 look superb as well. I have some that I will be doing some tests with soon.
Good Luck
Thanks all!
Bookmarks